03 March 2013

Hardest Thing I've Ever Experienced (Question #6)

Loss.  


Finding out someone I loved had passed away via FB is probably the hardest thing I’ve endured so far.  

His name was Joseph David Manhardt.  
I met him while I lived in Buffalo, NY.  I was working at a Church as an Americorps VISTA. He was there working as an outside contractor helping them to replace their heating system. 
 
I pursued him like it was my job.  We hit it off.  We hung out.  We dated.  We went on a cruise.  
We stopped dating.  
But we remained close friends.  I was still in love with him when I left Buffalo.  
I cried halfway through my trip home - talking to him on the phone.  
Why hadn't I fought for him? Or him me? 
Love can be so cruel.

We talked on the phone often. 

He was planning on visiting me in Portland February of 2011.  
But it never happened.  
December of 2010 I saw a post on his FB page.  One that lead me to do an internet search and send a message to his sister in law asking what had happened.  
Joe passed away in his sleep due to heart failure.  He was young.  Not even 35 at that point.  
It was unexpected.  It was a shock to my very being.  

My soul and heart would never be the same.  

Someday I’ll make the trek back to Buffalo so that I can visit his grave and have full closure.  
I still miss him to this day. 


Joseph David Manhardt 
August 24, 1976 - December 6, 2010

No comments: